Friday, October 5, 2012

Good Ol' Rednecks



            I’m actually excited for our blog prompt this week.  I’m from a community that, according to urbandictionary.com, “will remind you that racism and bigotry are still strong in America when you see a confederate flag bumper sticker crookedly stuck to the back of a 90's style Ford Mustang.”  The way I perceive “rednecks” is not positive.  I believe that they are people who practice racism, and are very obnoxious about it.  I know that people of the upper class can be racist, but they handle it in a dignified manner.  The rednecks from Granbury are very vocal about their beliefs in racism.  You can see this through the bumper sticker display they have covering the tailgate of their truck, which is “jacked up” to an illegal height.  They are the people who talk with an extreme “hick” accent.  They also run around telling the world of their adventures of illegal hunting, or there trials in the rodeo.  The community is equally divided between rednecks, and the “normal people.”  The normal people keep to themselves, as do the rednecks.  There is very little interaction between the two social groups.  I know this a sad reality, but there will always be a divide in class in America.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you that there will always be a divide in social class in America and I find that very sad. People judge others based on their social standings not on who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it is better to be a silent racist than a vocal one, but I certainly don't think we should be content with just being better than the stereotypical redneck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have something in common! My town also has a huge amount of loud obnoxious rednecks in it that fit the stereotype. I think that people need to stop being so judgmental and racist and also not be prejudiced upon others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so true that there is a separation between the classes. It is a normal separation though. People like to be around others that tend to have the same ideas and values as they do. I think that this is part of the reason classes have formed.

    ReplyDelete