Friday, September 14, 2012

Modern Family...


                I wonder how many people in our class support same sex marriage.  I think that is a very good question to ask.  In class we discuss the “Myth of a Model Family” and what our definition of a family is.  But I feel like we are dancing around the topic of homosexuality. 
In our copies of Rereading America, we have a copy of Proposition 8.  I necessarily don’t agree with what it is saying.  I feel that we should let same sex marriage be legal in the United States.  Are homosexuals causing harm to society?  We say we are “The Land of Freedom,” but we don’t allow our people to live as freely as they want to.  Sure you can take the religious route and say that homosexuality is a sin.  But, if it is their choice to live a life of sin, then all we can do is respect their choices and pray for them.  We can’t walk up to them and say “Being gay is a sin! You have to be straight!”  That is a very quick way to getting punched in the face.  I believe that if you are a Christian, no matter is you claim to be straight or gay, you will go to heaven.
I know at this point in your reading you are thinking “What is he going on about?”  All I have to say is read what is next.  The whole “Nuclear Family” concept is changing as society is changing.  In class we said that families need to have love and stability.  Who’s to say that a same sex family can’t provide these things?  They shouldn’t be denied the rights of any other family.  They deserve to live their version of “The American Dream.”  It’s not our job to judge those who choose to like their life the way they want to.  And it’s not our jobs to decide with the definition of a “Model Family” is.

4 comments:

  1. I think your post was interesting. I was able to find the point you were trying to make. You made your argument. I wasnt sure if you had a warrant or not. There were interesting points in your discussion. I agree that people have the right to the way they chose to live their life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you stepped out and took a stance that most of us did not take! Although I believe being an active homosexual is a sin, (because of what the Bible says) I think the controversy of whether or not same-sex marriage should be legal is tricky. Thanks for bringing out the other side of the argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your blog post about your stance on homosexual marriage! Your view was clearly stated and I feel that the points you made supported it very well. I like your statement about how we live in the land of the free, and yet the US does not give homosexuals the right to marry freely. Thank you for taking such a bold stance

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your argument, and, like Molly said, I appreciate it. I like that you acknowledged how we dance around the topic and unfairly judge. Personally, I don't believe that homosexuality is necessarily about it being "right" or "wrong", but more about whether it is healthy or not. And who is to say that all homosexual marriages would be unhealthy or harmful to society? Your argument caused me to think more about my views and beliefs. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete